Wednesday 14 November 2018

Review: Persuading Annie by Melissa Nathan

Title: Persuading Annie
Author: Melissa Nathan
Publisher: William Morrow Paperbacks
Publication date: August 17th 2004
Page count: 352
Buy The Book: Amazon | Book Depository
Rating: 2.5/5




Synopsis
After years as a sweet, good-natured pushover, Annie Markham has had to face up to three hard truths: You've got to be tough to succeed in business and romance. Sometimes your meddling loved ones are right about your worthless, no-good boyfriend being worthless and no good. The only reliable thing about men is that they're totally unreliable. Okay, she's been persuaded. So now, seven years after wisely and abruptly dumping the "love of her life," Jake Mead, things should be going better for Annie Markham, right? Unfortunately, her life's going nowhere, her family's going mental, and the family business is heading straight down the tubes. Could it get worse? Of course! Jake's back, Annie's getting ready for bankruptcy, and no one's ready for Christmas ... let alone a happy New Year. And no amount of persuasion will ever convince Annie that magic does happen and dreams do come true, not even at the stroke of midnight on December 31 at New York's Plaza Hotel ... will it? [Goodreads]

My Thoughts

I really wanted to love this book. It's a modern adaptation of 'Persuasion' which is one of my favourite Jane Austen books, and on top of that I remember enjoying Melissa Nathan's other book called 'The Nanny'. Unfortunately, 'Persuading Annie' didn't live up to my expectations. 

The pace of the book was quite fast which really appealed to me. I fear that if the pace of the book had been slower, I may not have been able to finish it. 

For me, the main reason I could not enjoy 'Persuading Annie' was because of the characters. I can't remember a single character that I liked, they were all very much on the unlikeable scale including Annie and Jack. Because the book is an adaptation, the reader already has an idea of the plot line, so in this case I think it becomes really important to work on the characters and make sure the reader will be invested in them. 

I do think there are some people that would enjoy this book, especially if you pick it up as a lighthearted and quick read, but it just didn't work for me. 

If anyone who is looking to read a good Jane Austen 'Persuasion' adaptation, one of my favourites would have to be 'For Darkness Shows the Stars' by Diana Peterfreund!


Quotes/Moments

"You have a choice. A life of lonely regret or happiness with some pain along the way. You choose."

I'd like to think the choice would be kind of easy?! 





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when I see a comment appear on one of my posts, it makes my day. I read EVERY single one and I try to send the comment love back your way.