Thursday 22 March 2012

Review of Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Delirium (Delirium #1)
Yo there!

 
Publication Date: February 1, 2011 by HarperCollins
Page Count: 448

Synopsis:

Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -the deliria- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Haloway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.
But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable.
Lena Haloway has always thought the cure was good, but one encounter can change everything. She does the unthinkable and falls in love.

Favourite Quote:
“Sometimes I feel like if you just watch things, just sit still and let the world exist in front of you-sometimes I swear that just for a second time freezes and the world pauses in its tilt. Just for a second. And if you somehow found a way to live in that second, then you would live forever.”
― Lena, Delirium

One Word To Describe The Book:
Stunning

My Thoughts:
AMAZING! I'm going to find this hard to write, I can't remember the last time a book had itself tugging on every string of my heart.

The line 'what if love was a disease' really caught my eye and it seemed really promising straight from the start.
The concept and writing of this book blew me away. First of all, the way the author really centred around Lena's (the main character) emotions and really emphasised them, it was like the emotions themselves were telling a story of their own, the author's style of writing is perfect at creating an atmosphere and bringing the world alive in your imagination. The storyline definitely had me hooked from the beginning, having a strong feeling like love and creating it into a disease really grips you and wants you needing to find out more about it, you also get a really thorough explantion about the disease and its symptoms which then begins to really shape the problem and the disease itself.
The book Delirium is a LOVE STORY and a really good one I would say, it has a way of interconnecting with your heart and makes you really feel the emotions the characters feel. There is also the aspects of picking at society and how it controls you, even though it's a dystopian setting it really does have truth within it about how society today sometimes causes you to think and feel a certain way which is really clearly presented in the book.
The main character is developed during the progress of the book, at the beginning of the book you don't get to see the many layers to her character but by the end you really understand her story and her character begins to shine, she becomes fearless and she stayed strong despite what was thrown at her. I enjoyed reading about her character especially because of the emotional ride she was on and how the author takes you step by step through it. I myself felt I could relate to different parts of her, Lena's struggles, fears and going through the process of making the right decisions.

In this book you really get an insight into Lena's life, the other characters like Hana her best friend really stood out aswell and how she's a real contrast in comparison to Lena.
Alex definetly caught my attention (he stole my heart), I fell in love with him, there is not enough adjectives in the world to describe my feelings for him, he is everything I want, perfect, beautiful, strong, stunning, loving and so many other words.


I think Lauren Oliver is particularly good with developing her characters and giving them all a story which I love about Delirium.
The beauty of Delirium is so hard to explain, the emotions like love, fear, tragedy were soo raw, I was on a rollercoaster of emotions. I was seriously blinded by it's amazingness. The ending was unexpecting and left me broken and mourning for days. I don't know how to express how much I recommend this book to everyone, the detail is beautiful and needs to be read, one of my favourite books! Go and read it if you haven't!

The second book in the series is Pandenomium.

Rating
★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when I see a comment appear on one of my posts, it makes my day. I read EVERY single one and I try to send the comment love back your way.