Thursday 13 July 2017

Review: Persuasion by Jane Austen





Title: Persuasion
Author: Jane Austen
Publisher: Oxford University Press
Page count: 249
Buy The Book: Amazon | Book Depository
Rating: 5/5








Synopsis

Twenty-seven-year old Anne Elliot is Austen's most adult heroine. Eight years before the story proper begins, she is happily betrothed to a naval officer, Frederick Wentworth, but she precipitously breaks off the engagement when persuaded by her friend Lady Russell that such a match is unworthy. The breakup produces in Anne a deep and long-lasting regret. When later Wentworth returns from sea a rich and successful captain, he finds Anne's family on the brink of financial ruin and his own sister a tenant in Kellynch Hall, the Elliot estate. All the tension of the novel revolves around one question: Will Anne and Wentworth be reunited in their love?


Favourite Quote



My Thoughts


"You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope."

I have had my eye on 'Persuasion' for a few years now but did not have the chance to pick it up. My initial curiosity to read the book was due to Diana Peterfreund's YA book 'For Darkness Shows the Stars' which was inspired by Jane Austen's 'Persuasion' - I had completely fallen in love with that book and ever since then I had wanted to read the original. 


I had a difficult time putting down 'Persuasion' - I loved the natural, slow-paced progression of the story where with time everything begins to fall into place. In particular with the first half of the book, I really came to like many of the secondary characters and the interactions and dynamics between the whole cast. I am a total sucker for the reunion between the main characters Anne and Captain Wentworth, their love story is not dramatic but one that came together naturally after they had both matured and had come to understand themselves and their own feelings over time. Anne's character was one of my favourites - I loved how she was cool headed in certain situations instead of suddenly making rash decisions. I can't forget Captain Wentworth's letter - I felt his deep sincerity and also the range of emotions Anne would have felt reading the letter (I had to take a number of breaks to keep my emotions in check whilst reading the confession!)

I've included a snippet of Captain Wentworth's letter to Anne above. 💗💗💗💗

I had a feeling before I started the book that I would really love 'Persuasion', and that definitely seems to be the case now. I would highly recommend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when I see a comment appear on one of my posts, it makes my day. I read EVERY single one and I try to send the comment love back your way.