Monday 18 February 2013

Review: Gone by Michael Grant

Title: Gone
Author: Michael Grant
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Publication Date: June 24th, 2008
Page Count: 558
Buy The Book: Amazon | Barnes and Noble
Rating: 3/5

Synopsis

In the blink of an eye. Everyone disappears. GONE.

Except for the young. Teens. Middle schoolers. Toddlers. But not one single adult. No teachers, no cops, no doctors, no parents. Just as suddenly, there are no phones, no internet, no television. No way to get help. And no way to figure out what's happened.

Hunger threatens. Bullies rule. A sinister creature lurks. Animals are mutating. And the teens themselves are changing, developing new talents--unimaginable, dangerous, deadly powers--that grow stronger by the day.

It's a terrifying new world. Sides are being chosen, a fight is shaping up. Townies against rich kids. Bullies against the weak. Powerful against powerless. And time is running out: On your birthday, you disappear just like everyone else...


Favourite Quotes

“We didn't make this world we're just the poor fools who are living in it.” 

Few Wild Words Quickie

Fast paced and exciting but not really the type of book I would usually read.

My Thoughts

I'd be crazy to say I didn't like this book at all because I actually did like it. It was fast paced which I usually prefer in a book and the idea was definitely intriguing. But there was a few things about this book that caused constant nagging at the back of my mind.

There were moments in the book where I couldn't put it down and there were other parts that left me skimming pages.

GONE is the type of book that has a lot of likeable aspects with just as many dislikeable parts. Just like there were some characters that I felt strongly for in the book while some annoyed me beyond belief (there were a few points where I wished upon them death).

I loved the concept/idea of the book. It was original and there was so much room to explore it. Michael Grant doesn't disappoint in that particular section. He manages to blend together reality and other-worldly ideas but also adds in characters who some readers can relate to. It presents the challenges faced by the young ones today especially with bullies, eating disorders and the need to belong.

However, some down points for me was that I felt like it dragged on and sometimes I just didn't want to read about a character over and over again. The other part that disappointed me was the ending. Throughout the book I was gearing up for an epic end, I was expecting sparks, trauma and plot twists.

For me, that didn't happen.

Overall, I think GONE is actually a pretty good book and I know that this book will probably be someone else's treasure and everlasting favourite. A mix of a few disappointments and the fact it wasn't much to my taste may have contributed to the reasons why I didn't love it. But, I'm sure there are many who will love it!

I'm not sure whether to continue the series but if I get a chance I might check it out.


Links

Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when I see a comment appear on one of my posts, it makes my day. I read EVERY single one and I try to send the comment love back your way.