Monday 10 June 2013

Review: Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly

Title: Revolution
Author: Jennifer Donnelly
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: October 12th, 2010
Page Count: 472
Buy The Book: Amazon | Barnes and Noble
Rating: 4.5/5

Synopsis

BROOKLYN: Andi Alpers is on the edge. She’s angry at her father for leaving, angry at her mother for not being able to cope, and heartbroken by the loss of her younger brother, Truman. Rage and grief are destroying her. And she’s about to be expelled from Brooklyn Heights’ most prestigious private school when her father intervenes. Now Andi must accompany him to Paris for winter break.

PARIS: Alexandrine Paradis lived over two centuries ago. She dreamed of making her mark on the Paris stage, but a fateful encounter with a doomed prince of France cast her in a tragic role she didn’t want—and couldn’t escape.

Two girls, two centuries apart. One never knowing the other. But when Andi finds Alexandrine’s diary, she recognizes something in her words and is moved to the point of obsession. There’s comfort and distraction for Andi in the journal’s antique pages—until, on a midnight journey through the catacombs of Paris, Alexandrine’s words transcend paper and time, and the past becomes suddenly, terrifyingly present.

Favourite Quotes

Mentioned in the review!

Few Wild Words Quickie

My Thoughts

“It goes on, this world, stupid and brutal.
But I do not.
I do not.”


Lyrical, engaging and most of all beautiful.

The part of this book that kept me most hooked was the history weaved into it throughout. The French Revolution is definitely not something I've looked too much into, but the detail in which Donnelly presents it made me feel as though I was right there in the middle of it all. The gruesome description was something I wasn't expecting and the life of Alex was laid out like a mystery, letting the reader slowly discover more about her life.

There is a lot of musical references in Revolution, half the time I wasn't completely aware who the musicians Andi was talking about. However, this didn't bother me much as it was interesting to learn about history's different musicians and find out about why Andi loved music so much.

“I'm wishing he could see that music lives. Forever. That it's stronger than death. Stronger than time. And that its strength holds you together when nothing else can.”


The writing style is totally hooking, it keeps you turning the pages because there is so many emotions splashed throughout the book.

The main character Andi is the love/hate kind of person. Her loss makes her weak but also strong. There were so many points I could understand her pain and even relate. Other times it was like the black cloud over her head would never go away and it just made me depressed too. By the end of the book I came to admire Andi's strength and how far she'd come. Other characters like Virgil captured my heart and it interesting getting to know him.

Revolution was not something that I'd usually pick up to read but it attached itself to me.

It was a beautiful read. That's all.

“Turn away. From the darkness, the madness, the pain. Open your eyes and look at the light.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when I see a comment appear on one of my posts, it makes my day. I read EVERY single one and I try to send the comment love back your way.