Monday 17 June 2013

Review: Legend by Marie Lu

Legend (Legend, #1)Title: Legend
Author: Marie Lu
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Publication Date: November 29th, 2011
Page Count: 320
Buy The Book: Amazon | Barnes and Noble
Rating: 3.5/5


Synopsis

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic’s wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic’s highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country’s most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June’s brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family’s survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias’s death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.


Favourite Quotes
“Each day means a new twenty-four hours. Each day means everything's possible again. You live in the moment, you die in the moment, you take it all one day at a time.”
Few Wild Words Quickie

Fast paced, hooking and action to keep you on your toes. 

My Thoughts

I picked this book up because everyone seemed to love it so I just had to see what was so amazing.

'Legend' is the type of book that grips you from the beginning till the end and doesn't let you take a breath between. Not that as a reader you'd want to put the book down. The pace is fast and there is no lack of action. It throws you straight into the deep end. 

 Lu does a good job crafting the future that 'Legend' is set in but personally I felt it was a bit vague. I would have loved to have known more background and explore further. I guess I'll have to wait to read the second book to see if that happens. 

 The book is told in two point of views, Day's and June's. I'm not a massive fan of different POVs and I can't completely say I liked it very much in this book. I got bored of Day's POV a lot of the time, I think I prefered it when I was looking through June's, maybe it was because I was more interested in finding out about her. 

I also have to add that the book felt slightly unrealistic especially both the main characters, they were ONLY fifteen. However, I didn't let that bother me too much. Overall, 'Legend' was an entertaining read which really knows how to keep a reader hooked. 

Confession: I liked Thomas better than Day most of the way through the book, I don't even know why. (I think I naturally fall in love with horrible characters, it's a flaw in my character!)



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when I see a comment appear on one of my posts, it makes my day. I read EVERY single one and I try to send the comment love back your way.