I'm going to put my hands in the air for library user!
I'm not much of a book buyer, never have been to be honest. I rely mostly on good old libraries to source my love of books.
My reasons for being such a heavy library user would probably be:
- Money - I usually don't have a lot of money to spend on books so I wouldn't be able to get as many books as I'd want.
- Re-reading - I don't ever re-read books. I can't remember the last time I did except for maybe old classics that I love. If I did buy books, I'd end up with loads that I know will probably not be read again so that would make me feel kind of guilty.
- Local libraries - The libraries that I use are AMAZING. There is awesome networking between many libraries in my city which means I can reserve any book I want online and pick it up soon after. They always have new books which I want to read.
- Online library - There is also an e-Library which is super fab with a large collection of e-books and audiobooks that I can borrow for a certain time period.
However, there are reasons why sometimes I think it would be much preferable to buy books:
- Returning library books - I am really bad at returning my books on time and sometimes I'm so lazy I can't be bothered to actually renew my books. This usually equals in overdue fines.
- Reading books - I'm a slow reader. I really like taking my time with books so sometimes it can take me forever to actually finish one. This means I end up with overdue library books consistently.
- Collection - I don't know if this is a fair reason but I'd love to have a massive collection of books in a floor to ceiling bookshelf. It would just look really beautiful.
- Own copy of book - Sometimes I do get an urge to look up a specific part in a book that I may have really liked but then I realise I don't have a copy. When I don't have a copy of some of my favourite books, it sort of breaks my heart.
The reasons kind of weigh up actually, there are pros and cons for sure. For now I think I'll continue to depend largely on my library but I want to start buying more books in the future, I might start with buying all my favourites!
I'd love to know if you're a LIBRARY USER or a BOOK BUYER, what are the reasons for why you prefer one over the other?
Maybe you like a bit of both?