Wednesday 17 April 2013

Review: Dark Heart Surrender by Lee Monroe

Title: Dark Heart Surrender
Author: Lee Monroe
Publisher: Hodder Children's Books
Publication Date: April 5th 2012
Page Count: 390
Buy The Book: Amazon | Barnes and Noble
Rating: 4/5
 
Synopsis

ONE GIRL. TWO WORLDS. SHATTERED. Jane's world has changed now that Luca, love of her live, inhabits it, and she's happier than she ever thought she could be. But how can a werewolf survive in the real world? When an immortal lives in the mortal world, the natural order of things must change. And what seems perfect, becomes destructive. They've overcome different worlds. But nothing could prepare Jane for this...
 
Favourite Quotes

"That our hearts were entwined through darkness and light."

Few Wild Words Quickie

I'm glad I stuck round till the end of the series. Overall it had the right elements of action and romance but I wish the series had gone out with more of a bang.

My Thoughts

I am feeling emotionally distraught right now most probably because this is the last book in the series and the last line broke my heart in a wonderful way.
That our hearts were entwined through darkness and light...


It feels like forever ago that I read the first and second book. I fell in love with the characters throughout the series even though at times they did make stupid decisions but their flaws made me love them even more.

DARK HEART SURRENDER started off slow for me, it didn't entrance me straight away. At first I was disappointed that maybe this series wouldn't go out with the bang I wanted. But, as the plot developed I began to get absorbed into the book and I couldn't put it down. I've noticed the trend throughout all three books, they always begin very slow then halfway it sucks you in.

I don't know how to express it but I just love Luca and Jane. They made crazy and rather rash decisions at times, they seemed to fall apart, nothing went their way ever. However, they always fell back together and it's felt so right every time. There's something innocent about their relationship which I loved, they even managed normalcy to some extent considering their situations, Luca and Jane will be OTP forever!

Another aspect of the book I really liked was the underlying mystery that appeared here and then throughout the book about the girl trapped. Monroe slowly unravelled the story and by the end all the loose ends tied up perfectly.

Some of the new secondary characters were interesting but I think I would have liked to have discovered more about them and their history, I didn't connect well with them and neither did I like them much.

I have mixed feelings about the ending, I liked it and I disliked it. It felt a bit rushed for me as though it was being hurried along and needed to be done with. Maybe I would have liked more Luca and Jane time I guess. But that said I also loved the simplicity of the ending and how it beautifully wrapped up everything in the last few lines and messed up my emotions.

Overall, I think with this series you have to be sort of patient. The books usually take their time getting into their element and you might even have a love/hate relationship with some of the characters. There is a gem in this series that kept me reading till the end and I'm glad I did.
 
If you've read the book I'd love to know what you thought?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when I see a comment appear on one of my posts, it makes my day. I read EVERY single one and I try to send the comment love back your way.