Tuesday 16 April 2013

Annoying Characters {My Take}



My take on annoying characters might be a bit unusual but I guess that's what I feel.

There are two categories I put annoying characters into.

For most, I would put these characters into the 'I'm-going-to-tear-my-hair-out' category. However, in my head, there is another category which is the 'entertaining' one.

The 'I'm-going-to-tear-my-hair-out' category:

- This is the common one most annoying characters fall into.

- Usually it means that with these characters I have to withstand the strong urge to rip hair out.

- (Trust me, it's not a happy sight).

- The annoying characters are probably doing stupid stupid things throughout the book, which range from very small actions to the life and death situations.

- These characters can result in me not finishing a book *queue the dramatic music*

- I don't even think I need to go on because we've all probably experienced such annoying characters.

These annoying characters end up making me rate a book low even if the actual plot and setting is pretty fab.

Now with that off my chest, let me tell you about the other category I put annoying characters under.

The 'entertaining' category:

-This occurs when a character in a book is obviously annoying me and making stupid decisions...BUT...their stupidity causes me to smile and laugh.

- An example is Wendy from the Trylle series: I can't express the number of times this character has driven me up the wall but in a good way. Her reaction to situations which usually calls for over dramaticness and a lot of flailing. It is all incredibly funny and enjoyable to see Wendy basically make a fool of herself. I feel a bit cruel saying that, oops.

- Furthermore, if I am being entertained by the annoyingness of the character and enjoying the book, I am compelled to carry on reading the book to see what other crazy thing the character decides to do.

- In a weird kind of way, sometimes these annoying characters are much like people in real life. Maybe it's just me, but I have a friend that is annoying to no end but I still love her.

- You could call it a personality flaw?

This type of annoying character adds up to a higher rating for the book.

This post might be absolutely nonsense to some. I just felt like I needed to get that out there.

If anyone else feels like I do, I'd love to know more about what you think.

Do you have any other categories you put annoying characters under or do they all fall under 'hitting-yourself-over-the-head' one?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when I see a comment appear on one of my posts, it makes my day. I read EVERY single one and I try to send the comment love back your way.