Wednesday 2 May 2012

Review: Abandon by Meg Cabot

Book Title: Abandon
Author: Meg Cabot
Publisher: Scholastic Inc.
Publication Date: April 26, 2011
Page Count: 320           

 

 

Synopsis:

She knows what it's like to die. Now Death wants her back.
Seventeen-year-old Pierce knows what happens to us when we die
That's how she met John Hayden, the mysterious stranger who's made returning to normal life or at least life as Pierce knew it before the accident next to impossible. Though she thought she escaped him starting a new school in a whole new place it turns out she was wrong. He finds her.What does John want from her? Pierce thinks she knows... just like she knows he's no guardian angel, and his dark world isn't exactly heaven. But she can't stay away from him, either, especially since he's always there when she least expects it, but exactly when she needs him most. But if she lets herself fall any further, she might find herself back in the place she fears the most. And when Pierce discovers the shocking truth, that’s exactly where John sweeps her: The Underworld.

Favourite Quote:

"Check yourself before you wreck yourself"

Words To Describe The Book:

Intriguing in some sense.

My Thoughts:

I felt like there were both ups and downs for me whilst reading this book for various reasons. With Meg Cabot being one of my favourite authors I just had to consider picking up this book. There were some elements of the book which I enjoyed thoroughly. One of those was the Greek mythology about the Underworld, I felt that gave the whole story a new dimension and gave it something to build on, it also gave me a chance to refresh my memory and be able to access a whole different world. Another really high point was the character's background/back story, the main character Pierce slowly unfolds her story through occasional flashback to her old memories, as a reader there was the whole sense of suspense and intrigue which kept me reading.

However with this book I felt there were some downsides. When I first started reading this book I felt rather sorry for it, I had just finished an amazing book and I was in one of those reading slumps so I'm not sure if that affected any of thoughts about the book. While reading the book I constantly felt as though the story was dragging on a bit, but not entirely in a bad way, but I felt the story wasn't getting to the main point quick enough, it wasn't until the last few chapters that the author finally reveals the climax of the book.

There were actually a few points in the book where I felt I couldn't carry on, the beginning didn't seem to grab my attention but I think what kept me hooked was the memory flashbacks which popped up here and then keeping me reading the book. There was another element which I liked which was the fact the love element wasn't played up or made the centre of attention, this presented the chance to further explore other aspects of Pierce's life and really get into her death and experiences.

Overall I felt the book kept me hooked on and off but I didn't completely feel it lived up to the standards which I was hoping for, especially as I normally completely love all Meg Cabot books. However I can really see the plot line developing in future books and the author may have reserved the best for the next books so I'll hold on tight and wait to get the  next book and see how it progresses!

Rating:

★★★.5

Buy the book:

Other covers:                                  
US COVER
  


Next book in the series:

UNDERWORLD

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when I see a comment appear on one of my posts, it makes my day. I read EVERY single one and I try to send the comment love back your way.